Results of OMVIC’s 2022 Mystery Shop Program
- Published On
- April 13, 2023
The results are in for our 2022 mystery shop program which is designed to identify compliance with the all-in-pricing requirements as set out in the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act. OMVIC staff posing as consumers visit dealerships and interact with sales staff to determine advertising compliance.
A randomized generator is used to create a list of dealers that are shopped across Ontario during the year. We also re-shopped dealerships that failed their mystery shop in 2021. This year, OMVIC visited dealers in the following municipalities/regions: Etobicoke, Scarborough, Peterborough, Belleville, Chatham-Kent, Grey Bruce, Kanata, Cornwall, Brockville, Muskoka, London, Guelph, Kawartha Lakes, St. Catherine’s Waterloo, Simcoe, Windsor, Markham, and Richmond Hill.
Results of the 2022 mystery shops:
- OMVIC visited 183 dealers
- 64 per cent of those involved in the mystery shop program passed with flying colours
- 36 per cent of registrants were unsuccessful in passing the shops
- 40 caution letters were sent, and 21 registrants were recommended for disciplinary action
- The main area of non-compliance was the addition of fees to the advertised price.
Results of the 2022 re-shops:
- OMVIC re-shopped 24 dealers that failed their mystery shop in 2021
- 71 per cent of those re-shopped passed with flying colours
- 29 per cent of registrants were unsuccessful in passing the re-shop
- 1 caution letter was sent, and 6 registrants were recommended for disciplinary action
- The main area of non-compliance was continuing to add fees to the advertised price.
In 2023 OMVIC will visit dealers in the following municipalities: North Bay, Thunder Bay, Hamilton, Mississauga, Brampton, Milton, Orillia/Midland, Bowmanville/Coburg, Welland, Woodstock and Carlton Place. Note: this list is not exhaustive. OMVIC may conduct the mystery shop program outside of these areas in 2023
To ensure you’re compliant, sign up for OMVIC’s educational webinars. For more information, contact email@example.com or call 1-800-943-6002 ext.3180. To access OMVIC’s advertising review services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-943- 6002 ext.3180.
If you have questions about the mystery shop program, contact 1-800-943-6002 ext.4. To learn more about compliance under the MVDA, review the requirements.