Complaints Process

Understand the complaints process

Complaint process

If you have an issue with the purchase or lease of a vehicle and are not sure who can help, contact our consumer support team by email or call toll free at 1-800-943-6002 ext. 1.

  • Contact the dealer to try and work out a reasonable solution. Ask to speak with the owner, general manager or a person in charge of day-to-day operations.
  • Be respectful, polite and firm. While problem-solving can be stressful, maintaining civil communication can be the key to finding an amicable solution.
  • Be clear about the solution you would like.
  • In some instances car buyers should be prepared to compromise.
  • Keep copies of all documents (for example, advertisements, work sheets, contracts, loan agreements, safety certificates, etc.).
  • Keep a written record of each time you have contacted the dealer including who you spoke with, dates and times.

  • If the matter remains unresolved after contacting the dealer, send a registered letter to the dealer outlining the issue and proposed solution. Include copies of pertinent documents.
  • It is important that you send a letter to the dealership by registered mail or obtain proof of delivery. Registered mail refers to a form of postal service that provides a tracking number.
  • The letter should be kept professional, clear and concise and, if possible, no longer than one page. The final paragraph should outline a time frame (for example, five to seven business days from the date of receipt by the dealership) for a response. The letter should be addressed to the general manager or owner of the dealership. If the car buyer doesn’t have this information, OMVIC’s consumer support team can assist.

  • If the problem remains unresolved contact our consumer support team or complete our online complaint form.
  • In order for OMVIC to contact the dealer on your behalf you need to complete our complaints process acknowledgement form [pdf]

Complete online complaint form

Learn more about our complaint handling process


If you think your vehicle has a manufacturing defect and is less than five years old, you may qualify for arbitration through the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP). OMVIC does not regulate and has no authority over manufacturer.