OMVIC reminds registrants of advertising guidelines and responsibilities
- Published On
- April 4, 2023
In recent months, OMVIC’s enforcement team has seen an increase in non-compliant dealer advertisements. Advertising-related questions and concerns are among the most common type of inquiries OMVIC receives from dealers, salespersons, and consumers. OMVIC encourages registrants to review the advertising guideline outlining the current expectations and requirements for vehicle advertisements released in September 2022. Registered dealers and salespeople are obligated to comply with these laws as set out in the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act.
What does the guideline contain?
The advertising guideline includes an overview of the current legislation and regulations and up-to-date information on how to remain compliant with the new and existing standards.
In summary, the guideline states that:
- All advertising, wherever it appears, should be clear, comprehensible and prominent. It should also be free of anything that could be seen as misleading or a misrepresentation, and it should be fair and accurate.
- There is new advice on how to handle online advertising.
- Dealers are reminded that all advertising must include certain mandatory disclosures, and that they are responsible for all advertising carried out on their behalf.
- Dealers are required to ensure that any advertisement includes the dealer’s registered business address, the dealer’s registered name and business telephone number in a clear, comprehensible and prominent manner.
- The provisions of the Consumer Protection Act dealing with financing and other related considerations are spelled out.
OMVIC will be hosting an advertising guideline webinar to address any questions or comments on April 18th at 11:00 a.m. Click here to register through Zoom.
Note: This information was created to assist dealers/salespeople and is not a legal document. Registrants are encouraged to obtain independent legal advice.
The dealer support team is available to assist dealers in achieving and maintaining compliance with the MVDA. Please contact dealer support at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-800-943-6002 if you have any questions or concerns.