Fee increase consultation
- Published On
- November 3, 2023
The Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) is proposing a fee increase to ensure the organization has the necessary resources to fulfill its mandate pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act (MVDA). Input from registered dealers and salespersons is being actively requested as part of this process.
The OMVIC board is responsible for overseeing OMVIC’s financial stability and has the authority to set fees. While some registration fees have not increased since 1994 and transaction fees were last adjusted in 2015, OMVIC is now experiencing deficits and projecting this trend to continue.
The fees in question are OMVIC’s main source of revenue. The following fee increases are being proposed based primarily on accumulated inflation:
- Salesperson renewal fee from $175 (set in 1994) to $200.
- Dealer renewal fee from $250 (set in 1999) to $385.
- Transfer fee from $75 (set in 1999) to $115.
- New salesperson application fee from $250 (set in 2008) to $335.
- New dealer application fee from $500 (set in 2008) to $670.
- Dealer class change, branch and dealership out of province fee from $250 (set in 2010) to $325.
- Out-of-province salesperson application fee from $175 (set in 2010) to $225.
- Transaction fee from $10 (set in 2015) to $12.50.
For additional details on the proposed fee increases, please refer to our information page.
Implementation of the updated fees is planned for April 1, 2024.
OMVIC will be hosting an information webinar on Wednesday, November 22 at 11 a.m. to address any questions or comments dealers or salespersons may have. Register for the webinar here. The registration deadline for the webinar is 5 p.m. on Tuesday, November 21.