Compliance Inspector (Halton East or Peel Region)
- January 4, 2024
- Closing Date
- Closing Date: January 26, 2024
Who is OMVIC?
OMVIC (Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council) is Ontario’s vehicle sales regulator. OMVIC enforces the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act and other consumer protection statutes for the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. OMVIC’s mandate and role is to maintain a fair and informed marketplace by protecting the rights of consumers, enhancing industry professionalism, and ensuring fair, honest, and open competition for registered motor vehicle dealers. This is achieved by maintaining strict dealer/salesperson registration requirements; inspecting all Ontario dealers (new and used); providing free complaint handling to consumers; developing/delivering consumer and dealer education/awareness programs; and investigating and prosecuting industry non-compliance and illegal sales (curbsiding).
What we offer:
OMVIC is made up of dedicated and hard-working individuals who take pride in the work they do each day to ensure that our mandate is being met. It is this great group of people that create a team atmosphere that is comfortable, friendly, and open which works to foster the team spirit.
Reporting to the Manager, Inspector, the Compliance Inspector is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Motor Vehicle Dealer Act 2002 (MVDA) and certain aspects of the Consumer Protection Act by all registered dealerships and salespersons in Ontario.
- Examine transactions and related documents, including bank statements, deposit books, cheque stubs, ledgers and all books of account in order to ensure completeness, disclosure, and ongoing compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
- Educate dealers about OMVIC’s expectations and legislation applicable to dealer’s business model
- Provide information, clarification and guidance on compliance policies and procedures in response to dealer or salesperson inquiries.
- Review general bank account and other related sheets, offers of purchase and sale, sales contracts, client ledgers, client agreements and other related documents for compliance with the Act, regulations of the MVDA, Code of Ethics and other related legislation.
- Apply a “Consumer lens” while examining related documents and transactions for practices such as failure to disclose prescribed information, odometer tampering, etc.
- Review all advertising both print and on-line, for violations of legislation and/or false or misleading advertising.
- Review and recommend best practices to encourage sound dealership operational governance
- Prepare written documentation of each inspection with copies of relevant information
- Prepare summary of findings that are then discussed with the registrant and take detailed notes from parties about any formal complaints and obtaining documentary evidence as required.
- Follow up on previous inspections, noting any deficiencies identified to determine if registrant is following directions.
- Give evidence and/or testify at Court and at the Licensing Appeals Tribunal (LAT).
- Respond to a variety of complex inquiries received via telephone, correspondence or in person concerning consumer entitlements, obligations and the application of relevant legislations and regulations.
- Refer registrants to other organizations (i.e. government ministries, law enforcement agencies) for attention and action in cases not pertaining to the OMVIC mandate.
- Provide consultative advice within area of expertise to other OMVIC staff.
- Assist registration department with review of complex or problematic applications to ensure compliance with the requirements of the MVDA and its regulations.
- Monitor compliance with the Terms and Conditions as set by the Registrar through the review and/or inspection of referred files.
- Advise or conduct preliminary interviews with applicants, registrants, non-registrants and other parties as to the interpretation, requirements and responsibilities under the MVDA, and to discuss compliance and administrative action by the Registrar.
- Provide assistance to investigators as they conduct investigations, as required.
- Identify emerging issues and trends noted during inspections.
- Analyze ongoing inspection related problems and develop recommendations and procedures to resolve them.
- Maintain awareness of changes to relevant legislation, general industry trends, as well as inspection methods and practices.
- Maintain current knowledge of practices used to conceal, mislead or defraud consumers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with regulatory compliance, inspections, accounting, auditing and/or law enforcement.
- Comprehensive theoretical and/or applied knowledge of inspection practices and methodologies.
- Ability to determine inspection priorities and appropriate scope, size and sample selection.
- Ability to lead/manage an inspection, with demonstrated success conducting interviews.
- Possess an understanding of the rules of evidence and proper evidence collection.
- Ability to effectively interpret legislation. Working knowledge of the MVDA2002, its regulations, and the Consumer Protection Act, would be an asset.
- Well-developed analytical skills, a curious nature and the ability to be resourceful and attentive to details.
- Takes initiative, demonstrates sound judgment, resoluteness and assertiveness.
- Ability to perform in a high volume, politically sensitive, fluid environment with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational, conflict resolution, written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated excellent research, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Demonstrated experience with computer applications (including full Microsoft Office suite), and computer assisted techniques to extract and analyze information.
- Familiarity with the motor vehicle dealership environment is an asset.
- Self-motivated, and able to work independently (from home and maintain a home office), as well as a member of a team.
- Must hold a valid class ‘G’ driver’s license and own a vehicle insured with business coverage insurance and be willing to travel throughout the GTA and occasionally outside the GTA (which may involve overnight stays).
- Multilingual a definite asset but not required.
We respectfully thank all applicants for their interest in working at OMVIC. However, we will only contact those meeting the qualifications for an interview.
OMVIC fosters an environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs, thereby working to ensure diversity, equality and inclusion and has been committed to and will continue advocating for an environment where all persons are treated with fairness, dignity, and respect. OMVIC is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), ensuring that all individuals are treated with dignity and respect. Should you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify the Human Resources department.
How to apply
If you are interested in the position, please submit a cover letter and resume, highlighting the position title to the attention of Human Resources no later than January 26, 2024, at 5:00 pm, to Email: email@example.com